Minimalistic Distribution

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

I think ReactOS's main strength is its Windows compatibility.
If you want to run a lot of Win32 apps as well, then you do need ReactOS (or Wine), but you'll have to include a lot of DLLs and stuff, and it'll be hard to know what, if anything, you can get away with leaving out.
If you don't need Windows compatibility, wouldn't it be better to find an operating system that's main purpose is to be fast and lightweight?
Maybe a stripped down Unix-type OS, or something written in ASM?
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

IOS has it's strong points, but I'd never thought that I'd see ROS on a Cisco router/switch. That would be just amazzing. All for the future.

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Embedded use for ReactOS

Post by Jaix »

uniQ wrote:
It will be excellent for old machines, minimal router/gateway setups, maybe even embedded firmware for routers, just with a config app and a familar GUI.
To use ReactOS in embedded systems would be a lot better then the Window XP dito, being able to customize the code exactly for the intended use is soo much better then just being able to choose modules to install, more work, but way better. I guess we will find reactos in a lot more stuff then just old/ small computers and applications like routers and switches, what about:

set-top boxes,
multimedia systems,
TV:s,
printers,
entertainment robots,
automatic home systems,
PLC-systems,
palm/ hand sized computers,
Video recorders,
MP3-players and many more.

I guess Windows will have a hard time ones ReactOS 1.0 is released.

Let's start thinking about applications worthy to develop and why to choose ReactOS as operating system for it.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

HeH, maybe we should add a Wiki page "PossibleFutureApplications" ?

-uniQ

PS. In a few years that 2 orbital atom will hopefully be mighty hard to avoid seeing ;)
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Windows NT compared with Windows CE

Post by Jaix »

Is there someone who know how big the difference between the core and the basic system in Windows NT is compared with Windows CE?

The reason to this question is that I wonder how much work it is to port Reactos to a Pocket PC ones it´s stable. Of course it´s not just a port, but how much of the core is used? And will it be like a totally new development project just like ReactOS?
Jaix
Moderator Team

Memory demands

Post by Jaix »

I tried to boot the latest QEM image on the reactsoft.com site and decreaced the memory until it didn´t work anymore, and it stopped on 24M with a bluescreen error, does somebody know if 24M is needed or is ReactOS configured to us this amount?
And in that case, is it possible to decrease this limit to a couple of megs?
And in that case is it a question about tuning or stripping the code?

Compared to WinNT 4 how much memory is needed, and how fast is ReactOS?
GvG

Post by GvG »

The minimum requirements state 32 MB RAM. So consider yourself lucky it ran with 24Mb :)
React_dude

My 2 fav.

Post by React_dude »

React OS, and sky OS are my fav. (can't wait till v5 comes out, want to try it out so badly)
We need a react OS Update. How would we get by wih out it.
Jaix
Moderator Team

SkyOS not very Minimalistic

Post by Jaix »

React_dude wrote:
React OS, and sky OS are my fav. (can't wait till v5 comes out, want to try it out so badly)
SkyOS is not a very minimalistic OS, they suggest minimum 500MHz and at least 128MB RAM, that PC isn´t very modest, I´m running Windows 2000 Server on a Cyrrix 150MHz with 256MB RAM (I had 128M before, but it paged to much so I doubbled). And I run WinNT 4 Server SQL Server and Jeeves huge Economic system on a Cyrrix 166MHz 32M RAM.
In that way ReactOS is a lot more streamlined, the minimum system I have run ReactOS in is Cyrrix 150MHz and 24M RAM. I didn't try any applications then but it installed and ran.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

uniQ wrote:
HeH, maybe we should add a Wiki page "PossibleFutureApplications" ?

-uniQ

PS. In a few years that 2 orbital atom will hopefully be mighty hard to avoid seeing

Maybe this is a good idea, what do all others say, would you like to make some brainstorming to get good ideas up to consideration to the programmers in a wiki page?

Or is it better to start a new thread "PossibleFutureApplications" in this forum?

I guess it's good for the programmers to have different applications for the OS in mind when develop the system. I think the windows way isn't very good, the smallest installation of the XP system is about 1.5G let's make ReactOS very very small in the smallest intsallation.